Thursday, August 17

Eleventh hour changes...

These are the pants I will NOT be taking. Really unhappy about that! They happen to be my favorite...nice fitting, leather hip and knee padding, textile everywhere else...with sharp looking reflective piping and FirstGear logo. Evidently, the pants require a week for cleaning. I have only days. Gear changes required.

Bike security... An article I read said think: "layers." A lock is one layer; add to that a lock with an audible alarm, chain it to a stationary object, garage it at all times...if outside, use a motorcycle cover. These layers do not prevent thief but it might dissuade some amateur. The more layers, the more time needed to pilfer a bike. A professional, hellbent of filching, will find a way to quickly haul away the booty. I just don't want to make it easy for 'em.

I have an audible disc lock and always garage the bike. But day trips mean having to leave the bike on the street, in places where I can't always watch it. Solution? Lug my gear with me, which makes exploring on foot after I've reached my destination, exhausting .

Better solution? Cable my stuff to the bike and shroud it under a motorcycle cover. These covers look bulky but I'm told they fold down well and transported easily. Called newenough.com and talked to Nate, one of the owners. It dawned on me that a half cover might not be large enough to cover the luggage and my gear. But an X-large might. I wondered if buying the X-large half cover would work. Nate and I went back and forth on the pros and cons. Eventually Nate volunteered to call Nelson-Rigg (N-R). N-R recommended the X-large but cautioned that the cover still might not cover the mound. The reason: the bottom part of the saddlebags might be too wide and too low for even an X-large half cover. Later, the cover sans the luggage and gear will be an ill-fitting potential sail, defeating the whole security thing. Solution? Get the X-large half cover. Use the rain covers that come with N-R luggage to cover the exposed saddlebags if necessary. On the rare occasions when the cover might be used without the luggage, anchor it to the bike with a cable or two. Tacky sounding, I know, but in a pinch you do what you gotta do.

Best solution? Next time: Givi hard luggage!! Lock it up and forgettaboutit!

Now that I'm down to the wire, I know this to be true: the jacket I wanted to take, I cannot because it clips the helmet when I turn my head. I could take its sister jacket but it's leather/textile, which would necessitate having to tote rain gear. The jacket I'm now forced to take was once my favorite and is the most practical. This "system," multi-purpose weather jacket is great for hot, cold and in-between weather. The Kilimanjaro is fully padded, sports enough deep pockets to carry additional luggage, which is both good and bad, has a removable fleece jacket, and windbreaker and is waterproof--no need to carry rain gear. Matching pants zip into the back of the jacket, creating a sharp touring outfit. But the jacket is puffy and makes me look like the character "Fat Albert." Photo NOT forthcoming!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi

I've really been entertained by yourexperiences. Especially your encounter with "Yoopers" [U.P.ers].

As you have now found out, most Yoopers are a bit odd, to say the least!

After my first encounter with one, I was walking to my truck and I stopped dead and said to myself "what the hell just happened there?" Subsequently, I came to realize what the situation was. They have been in confinement from about Nov to Apr. The more normal ones winter in FL or AZ.

Good luck on the balance of your trip.

Rich [arewit2000]